Thursday, June 12, 2014

Countdown to Old Forge

There is less than two days before we set off in Old Forge NY.
We have done so much preparing in this final week, and my head is still spinning. Packing the food, re-doing the menu...... packing our packs, testing our gear (done a little too late...) getting in touch for food drops and pick ups, and on and on and we have more to do still!

Tonight we found out our solar charger power pack won't charge the cell phone. It plugs in fine, micro USB, but it doesn't charge. Something with the battery isn't compatible. Off to the store to buy a cheap pre-paid phone and be sure it will charge. Nope, store closed. Add it to the list to do tomorrow... I would rather go without a phone at all, but we do need it to get in touch with people to pick us up, arrange reservations for campsites, etc.

The last few days I have been stressing out alot. I just feel like I've forgot to plan something, we are missing something, somewhere. We probably aren't, but it doesn't keep me from worrying. I will keep worrying until we start paddling Saturday. I talked to my Dad and he said he does the same thing when he plans trips for the Boy Scout troop, being in charge of a dozen scouts.
Thankfully Meghan has kept a level head through my stressing and has been very reassuring to me and helpful with the last minute planning. We just need to start paddling already!

We have our food all set, finally. It was seperated out by week, but we found out it would not work for where we planned on having food drops and what we were capable of carrying in our packs. So, now we are starting carrying one week of meals. We are having a box of food dropped off in Saranac lake at St. Regis Canoe outfitters (Many many thanks to them!) who are always willing to help paddlers out. From there we are carrying enough until we get to my Grandparents camp in NEK Vermont. From there, we carry 5 days worth, and Meghan's Grandparents will meet us on the Androscoggin river in NH, and we will pick up enough food to get us to Jackman ME, where we are mailing food for the final push to Fort Kent.

Once we get paddling, I honestly am not too sure how well the blog will be updated. It may only be updated one time, when we rest a few days in Northern VT near home. I hope that isn't the case, but it may happen. We both will be keeping journals, and taking lots of pictures, so there will be a detailed account of our journey after we finish.

Farewell to all who are following our journey, we will update you when we can.
Saturday, we leave for Old Forge, and begin the journey paddling up the Fulton chain of lakes. I do not want to wait any longer!


No comments:

Post a Comment