Thursday, July 3, 2014

Rest Day Reflections by Meghan

Hey everyone! As you know we made it to Chris' grandparent's camp where we have been staying for the past week.  We really needed those rest days to recover physically and mentally from the first couple weeks that put us four days ahead of schedule.  We were going, going, going right from the start so this was a chance for me to recover from the shock to my system that this trip seemed to bring on.  I didn't really have any expectations when we first started out so I didn't really realize how nice it would be to have zero days.  I was reluctant to take rest days at all during any point of the trip thinking that it would feel like giving up. As we rested (and ate) up though, I was able to think back more, instead of constantly thinking about the day ahead, on what we have accomplished and it has helped me look forward more to the coming weeks now that we have a routine established, I know what to expect, and that I (we) can actually handle something like this. 

I am extremely grateful to Chris' grandparents for letting us stay with them for a week and for helping us out with our day trips by shuttling the truck with the canoe rack to the take out each day and especially for the yummy breakfasts and coffee in the morning; I can't thank them enough!  We had a get together last Saturday when my and the rest of Chris' family came up to see us and have a cookout.  It was a lot of fun to see everyone especially my twin sister who I haven't been able to talk to in a while.  We came home one more day today to do laundry one more time after the four hot, hot days we have had this week and to get a few last supplies such as a bicycle repair kit for our wheels (just in case), a longer bowline for lining, and more padding for the carrying thwart (for future portages).  Tomorrow we are staying at camp for the 4th of July and then heading back out to the Connecticut river on Saturday where were will continue on through New Hampshire and then finally Maine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment